Music on the Homestead

I loved re-reading the "Little House of the Prairie" books which I assigned to Tween for literature requirements. It reminded me that in the evenings, when chores were done, Pa would often pick up his fiddle, and play till the girls fell asleep. Aw, bliss.

We are somewhat a musical family. Well, two out of three! I was quite the accomplished musician when I was young. I played the flute in high school, took piano lessons for 13 years and accompanied friends, and sang mezzo-soprano for packed houses. I even performed in dinner theater for a while!

My Tween was destined to be musical, and he does love beats and sounds. And Hubby loves to listen, but couldn't carry a tune in a bucket if his life depended on it.

We have an assortment of musical instruments: an electronic keyboard (yes, we'd prefer a good ole piano), drums, recorders (kinda like a flute), maracas, tamborines, and more. From time to time, for family fun time, we get out the karaoke machine and jam along with our instruments. Who cares what we sound like, right? We're having fun.

Do you have any musical instruments on your homestead? Remember, it's not the quality of the music - it's the fun!

2 comments:

Carolyn said...

I am reading Farmer Boy right now!

ThrtnWmsFam said...

It's a great reference book, isn't it? Vikki